Tuesday, December 11, 2012

AmeriCorps*VISTA reflects on service, conference success


By Cassandra Tice
I moved to Indianapolis for one sole purpose- to volunteer. As a recent college graduate, I decided I wanted to do something worthwhile. I wanted to make a difference. At the same time, I wanted to use my Professional Writing and Creative Writing degrees. I researched several wonderful programs and finally found the perfect one for me, AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteer In Service To America)
As a VISTA you commit to one year of service, 40 hours a week, to building the capacity of a nonprofit agency. To some this may seem overwhelming. How can you volunteer full-time for an entire year? Trust me, it was a challenge. However, AmeriCorps provides each VISTA a modest living stipend and enables student loan deferment. Plus, what I learned in life experience makes up for the low income.  
From July 2011 to July 2012, I served as the Fund Development VISTA for the Indiana Youth Institute. The Indiana Youth Institute (IYI) promotes the healthy development of Indiana children and youth by serving the people, institutions, and communities that impact their well-being. 
That first day of my service year, I knew very little about the nonprofit industry, how IYI served its mission, or how to fundraise. Fortunately for me, IYI is staffed with experts on youth development, programming, nonprofit management, education, fundraising, and so much more. Within the first month, I had a solid fundraising plan that included grant-writing and promoting the Indiana Mentoring Partnership specialty license plate.
IYI gave me the opportunity to attend trainings and seminars on topics such as fund development, poverty, and nonprofit management. By the time I ended my year of service I had accomplished two things: raising more than $70,000 for IYI and deciding to pursue a career as a fundraising professional for a nonprofit agency. Today, I am the Development Manager at Jameson Camp, a year-round youth serving agency working to enrich the lives of Indiana youth by inspiring them to develop their strengths. This is a position I would not have been qualified for or would have considered prior to my year of service with VISTA and IYI.
For youth-workers, December doesn’t just mark the month of Christmas, it marks the month of IYI’s Because Kids Count Conference. This conference is an incredible professional development opportunity for anyone who works or volunteers with youth. Last year, I worked the conference with the IYI staff. Working in fund development, I had little interaction with the people we served until this two-day conference took place half way through my year of service.
For the first time, I spoke face-to-face with teachers, program managers, development directors, volunteer mentors, and board members about the impact IYI’s services and the Because Kids Count Conference had on their professional development and the development of their organizations. It was rewarding to hear that my volunteer work and the work of the IYI staff was making it possible for youth-workers to follow best practices and build the capacity of their organizations, which in turn impacted youth all around the state of Indiana. 
This year, I received a scholarship to attend the Because Kids Count Conference and my experience was completely different than the previous year. Instead of serving youth-workers, I was being served. I attended workshops on engaging “millennials” as volunteers and donors, writing successful proposals, and board development. I networked with other nonprofit professionals and exchanged ideas and tips. I listened, I learned, and I connected. Now I’m working on transferring what I heard from the speakers and my fellow youth-workers into action steps for my fundraising and marketing plans.
Over the past year and half my eyes have been opened to the importance of after-school programs, mentoring services, summer camps, and other youth development programs. The sad truth is there are kids going hungry, being bullied, dropping out of school, and facing a variety of obstacles every day, and youth programs are stepping up and taking action to improve the lives of these children. These programs need the support of people of like you.
I understand you may not be able to volunteer a year of service to AmeriCorps, but there are various volunteer opportunities with organizations around Indianapolis. Become a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters, tutor homeless children at School on Wheels, teach creative writing at Second Story. Want a one-time volunteer opportunity? Participate in a Day of Impact with IndyHub or help with registration at next year’s Because Kids Count Conference.
Do you have a specialized skill like graphic design or electrical engineering? At Jameson Camp we could always use volunteers for grounds maintenance, marketing, committees, clerical work, as well as with our youth programming. Volunteering for a youth development program doesn’t have to involve working directly with children. Find an organization with a mission you believe in and ask them how you can help.
My year of volunteer experience was very rewarding, and set my life in a new direction revolving around helping youth. You may not be at the point in your life to be a VISTA, but I encourage you to search for ways to make a difference outside of your important work. One small action can have a huge impact. You can change lives, and as I discovered, one life that might be changed could be your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment